Thank you for using Zappyrent! Your trust is important to us and we’re committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. The information that’s shared with us helps us to provide a great experience with Zappyrent.
1.2 Data Controller
2. Information We Collect
There are three general categories of information we collect.
2.1 Information You Give to Us
2.1.1 Information that is necessary for the use of the Zappyrent Platform
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the Zappyrent Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an Zappyrent Account, we require certain information such as your first name, last name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile and Listing Information. To use certain features of the Zappyrent Platform (such as booking or creating a Listing), we may ask you to provide additional information, which may include your address, phone number, and a profile picture.
- Identity Verification Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license, as permitted by applicable laws) or other authentication information.
- Payment Information. To use certain features of the Zappyrent Platform (such as booking or creating a Listing), we may require you to provide certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to facilitate the processing of payments.
- Communications with Zappyrent and other Members. When you communicate with Zappyrent or use the Zappyrent Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
2.1.2 Information you choose to give us
You may choose to provide us with additional personal information in order to obtain a better user experience when using Zappyrent Platform. This additional information will be processed based on our legitimate interest or when applicable, your consent.
- Additional Profile Information. You may choose to provide additional information as part of your Zappyrent profile (such as gender, preferred language(s), city, and a personal description). Some of this information as indicated in your Account settings is part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Address Book Contact Information. You may choose to import your address book contacts or enter your contacts’ information manually to access certain features of the Zappyrent Platform, like inviting them to use Zappyrent.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, update or add information to your Zappyrent Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team, share your experience with us (such as through Landlord Stories), or use other features of the Zappyrent Platform.
2.1.3 Information that is necessary for the use of the Payment ServicesThe Payments Data Controller needs to collect the following information necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable law (such as anti-money laundering regulations). Without it, you will not be able to use Payment Services:
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services, the Payments Data Controller requires certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to process payments and comply with applicable law.
- Identity Verification and Other Information. If you are a Landlord, the Payments Data Controller may require identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license) or other authentication information, your date of birth, your address, email address, phone number and other information in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and to comply with applicable law.
2.1.4 Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the Zappyrent Platform and Payment Services
When you use the Zappyrent Platform and the Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information about the services you use and how you use them. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the Zappyrent Platform and Payment Services.
- Geo-location Information. When you use certain features of the Zappyrent Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. Zappyrent may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the Zappyrent Platform such as the pages or content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Zappyrent Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use the Zappyrent Platform, even if you have not created an Zappyrent Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Zappyrent Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Zappyrent Platform.
- Do Not Track Signals. While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, the Zappyrent Platform currently does not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application due to lack of standardization regarding how that signal should be interpreted.
- Payment Transaction Information. Zappyrent collects information related to your payment transactions through the Zappyrent Platform, including the payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and Zappyrent and to allow the provision of the Payment Services.
2.1.5 Information We Collect from Third Parties
Zappyrent may collect information, including personal information, that others provide about you when they use the Zappyrent Platform and the Payment Services, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Zappyrent Platform and the Payment Services. We do not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your Personal Information, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to us should be directed to such third parties.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your Zappyrent Account with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook, WeChat), the third party service may send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Referrals. If you are invited to Zappyrent, the person who invited you may submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
2.2 Children’s Data
Our websites and applications are not directed to children under 16 and we do not knowingly collect any personal information directly from children under 16. If you believe that we processing the personal information pertaining to a child inappropriately, we take this very seriously and urge you to contact us using the information provided under the “Contact Us” section below.
3. How We Use Information We Collect
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the Zappyrent Platform, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and ensure compliance with Zappyrent Policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
3.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the Zappyrent Platform
We may use the personal information to provide, improve, and develop the Zappyrent Platform such as to:
- enable you to access and use the Zappyrent Platform,
- enable you to communicate with other Members,
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Zappyrent Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
- provide customer service,
- send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection,
- to operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Zappyrent Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Listing suggestions, ranking search results), we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Zappyrent Platform, your search and booking history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the Zappyrent Platform, and
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the Zappyrent Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
3.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required,
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties,
- comply with our legal obligations,
- enforce our Terms of Service and other policies, and
- in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Zappyrent Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the Zappyrent Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the Zappyrent Platform if such processes detect activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the Zappyrent Platform, our community, or third parties. If you challenge the decisioning based on the automated process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in protecting the Zappyrent Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
3.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing
We may use the personal information to provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing such as to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about Zappyrent or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google),
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Zappyrent or its third party partners,
- conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with the Zappyrent Platform, information obtained from third parties, and your search and booking history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you,
- enrolling in an email subscription will not affect the frequency of administrative emails that we may send in connection with any Zappyrent Account. No fee is charged for sending promotional emails to you, but third-party data rates may apply. Note that you may not be able to take advantage of certain promotions if you do not have an Zappyrent Account, and
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
3.4 How the Payments Data Controller uses the Personal Information Collected
We may use the personal information as a part of Payment services such as to:
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Detect and prevent fraud, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
- Enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies.
- With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
The Payments Data Controller processes this personal information given its legitimate interest in improving the Payment Services and its users’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable laws.
3.5 Your Choices
You have choices on the promotional messages that you choose to receive.
- You can limit the information you provide to Zappyrent. Participation in promotions and marketing programs is voluntary.
- You can limit the communications that Zappyrent sends to you.
- To opt-out of marketing emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any marketing email we send you or access the notification settings in your Zappyrent Account.
- To revoke permissions that you may have given to send promotional text messages, text STOP in response to any message.
- You can always update your notification settings within your Zappyrent Account by visiting the Notifications section of your Zappyrent Account. Please note that even if you opt-out of marketing communications, we may still need to contact you with important transactional information about your account. For example, even if you opt-out of emails, we may still send you activity confirmations or fraud alerts.
4. Sharing & Disclosure
4.1 Advertising and Social Media; Sharing With Your Consent
Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including personal information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your Zappyrent Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by Zappyrent partners or third parties.
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services or the Zappyrent Platform. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be if your interest.
The social media platforms with which we may share your personal information are not controlled or supervised by Zappyrent. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal information should be directed to such provider.
Please note that you may, at any time ask Zappyrent to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4.2 Sharing between Members
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information, including personal information, with other Members, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, as follows:
- When you as a tenant submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the Landlord, including your profile, full name, the full name of any additional tenant, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number.
- When you as a Tenant invite additional tenants to a booking, your full name, travel dates, Landlord name, Listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Tenant.
- When you as a Tenant invite additional tenants to a booking, your full name, travel dates, Landlord name, Listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Tenant.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
4.3 Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information
The Zappyrent Platform lets you publish information, including personal information, that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Accommodation’s approximate location (neighborhood and city) or precise location (where you have provided your consent), Listing description, calendar availability, your public profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information you choose to share.
- After completing a booking, Tenants and Landlords may write Reviews and rate each other. Reviews and Ratings are a part of your public profile page and may also be surfaced elsewhere on the Zappyrent Platform (such as the Listing page).
- If you submit content in a community or discussion forum, blog or social media post, or use a similar feature on the Zappyrent Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Based on our legitimate interest to promote the Zappyrent Platform we may display parts of the Zappyrent Platform (e.g., your Listing page) on sites operated by Zappyrent’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs. If your Listings are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
Information you share publicly on the Zappyrent Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
4.4 Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights
Zappyrent may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement, governmental authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against Zappyrent, (iii) to respond to valid requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service, the Payment Terms or other agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Zappyrent, its employees, its Members, or members of the public.
These disclosures may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations, for the protection of your or another person's vital interests or for the purposes of our or a third party’s legitimate interest in keeping the Zappyrent Platform secure, preventing harm or crime, enforcing or defending legal rights, facilitating the collection of taxes and prevention of tax fraud or preventing damage.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Zappyrent’s property, its Members and the Zappyrent Platform. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
4.5 Service Providers
Zappyrent uses a variety of third-party service providers to help us provide services related to the Zappyrent Platform and the Payment Services. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
For example, service providers may help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the Zappyrent Services through third party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services. These providers have limited access to your personal information to perform these tasks on our behalf, and are contractually bound to protect the personal information and only use the personal information in accordance with our instructions.
Zappyrent will need to share your information, including personal information, in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you.
4.6 Business Transfers
4.7 Aggregated Data
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, research, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
5. Other Important Information
5.1 Analyzing your Communications
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Zappyrent Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on Zappyrent's legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws and our Terms, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of our services.
5.2 Linking Third Party Accounts
You may link your Zappyrent Account with your account at a third party social networking service. Your contacts on these third party services are referred to as “Friends.” When you create this link:
- some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your Zappyrent Account profile;
- your activities on the Zappyrent Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Zappyrent Platform and/or that third party site;
- a link to your public profile on that third party social networking service may be included in your Zappyrent public profile;
- other Zappyrent users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
- other Zappyrent users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service;
- the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and
- the publication and display of information that you provide to Zappyrent through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Zappyrent Platform and the third party site.
We only collect your information from linked third party accounts to the extent necessary to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, or to ensure that we comply with applicable laws, or with your consent.
5.3 Third Party Partners & Integrations
The Zappyrent Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). Zappyrent doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, Zappyrent, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
6. Your Rights
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section before your applicable Zappyrent Data Controller and Payments Data Controller by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request.
6.1 Managing Your Information
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. If you have chosen to connect your Zappyrent Account to a third-party application, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and remove permission for the app by changing your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
6.2 Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you (and which you cannot update yourself within your Zappyrent Account).
6.3 Data Access and Portability
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
6.4 Data Retention and Erasure
In generale, Zappyrent conserva i tuoi dati personali per il tempo necessario all’esecuzione del contratto stipulato con te e per assolvere ai nostri obblighi legali. In determinate giurisdizioni puoi richiederci di eliminare interamente le tue informazioni personali. Ti ricordiamo che se decidi di richiedere l’eliminazione dei tuoi dati personali:
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an Zappyrent Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that Zappyrent Account to prevent that Member from opening a new Zappyrent Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, Zappyrent may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the Zappyrent Platform, even after your Zappyrent Account is cancelled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we maintain the Zappyrent Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
6.5 Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing
If we are processing your personal information based on your consent you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to Zappyrent specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to Section 6.6 and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of Zappyrent override your own.
6.6 Objection to Processing
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require Zappyrent not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing Zappyrent will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, at any time ask Zappyrent to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6.7 Lodging Complaints
You have the right to lodge complaints about our data processing activities by filing a complaint and sending it to email@example.com.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your Zappyrent Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your Zappyrent Account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Contact Us